SAF, FPC,  NRA Jump Into Case In Which Court Ordered SIG To Divulge Customer Names

Two large gun-rights groups are siding with gunmaker Sig Sauer in a court case in which plaintiffs seek to force disclosure of gun owners’ identities without their consent.

On February 17, the Firearms Policy Coalition (FPC) and National Rifle Association (NRA) filed an amicus brief with the U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Pennsylvania in support of defendant SIG SAUER’s motion for reconsideration in the case Hall v. Sig Sauer, Inc.

At issue is the court ordering Sig to divulge the identities of some of its customers to the plaintiffs in the case as part of the discovery process. The brief seeks reconsideration of that order, which FPC and NRA deem inappropriate.

Second Amendment Roundup: Bruen’s Citations on Sensitive Places
Enhanced government security is required when a location is made a gun free zone.

Stephen Halbrook

The Second Amendment creates the default rule that, absent a narrow exception, keeping and bearing arms is a right that may not be infringed.  The ongoing debate on the nature of the “sensitive places” where firearms may be prohibited boils down to whether, if individuals may have no arms for self-defense, the government must provide comprehensive or enhanced security.  If not, the disarmed place is just the perfect location for criminals to attack victims.

The Supreme Court has not decided a case on “sensitive places,” but has referred to their existence, most recently in Bruen.  There, the Court set forth the following two-step rule: “[W]hen the Second Amendment’s plain text covers an individual’s conduct, the Constitution presumptively protects that conduct.  To justify its regulation, … the government must demonstrate that the regulation is consistent with this Nation’s historical tradition of firearm regulation.”  A modern restriction must be shown to be analogous to laws (either statutes or the common law) that were considered permissible at the Founding.

Continue reading “”

Florida… Where Non-Dangerous Felons Really Can Recover Their Gun Rights.

Christopher Morgan was convicted in Pennsylvania in 2007 after he was caught carrying a firearm without a state license. Fifteen years later, he was stopped by a Florida officer, whom he told of a pistol in the center console of his car. Morgan was charged in Florida with possession of a firearm by a convicted felon. He has no other criminal history.

Before his trial in Florida, Morgan’s defense team made a motion that the state firearm law, 790.23, is “unconstitutional both facially and as applied to him.” However, the trial court denied his motion. Morgan then pleaded no contest to the felon in possession Florida charges but appealed his conviction. He was sentenced to two days in jail and court costs.

Last week, Florida Attorney General James Uthmeier issued a response to Morgan’s appeal, which said that his conviction for possessing a firearm by a felon violates the Second Amendment.

AG Uthmeier actually agreed with Morgan’s legal team.

“On studied reflection, the Attorney General has concluded that the conviction does indeed infringe Morgan’s right, as a nondangerous felon, to keep and bear arms,” Uthmeier wrote. “The state must therefore confess error and urge this Court to reverse.”

In the court document, Uthmeier spells out that he is Florida’s “Chief Legal Officer,” and that he swore an oath to uphold the U.S. Constitution.

“It is thus the Attorney General’s duty to admit when he believes the State has obtained a conviction in violation of the Constitution,” he wrote.

If the court permits him to file a brief for this case, Uthmeier’s team wrote, he will “discuss the lack of historical evidence supporting the dispossession of all felons as distinct from the strong historical evidence supporting the dispossession of dangerous felons.”

Continue reading “”

Democrats’ gun grab collapses as major anti-2A bills go down in flames

In the final stretch of New Mexico’s legislative session, two sweeping gun control measures championed by progressive Democrats have effectively collapsed — a major victory for New Mexicans’ Second Amendment rights.

Senate Bill 17, the so-called “Stop Illegal Gun Trade and Extremely Dangerous Weapons Act,” was rolled indefinitely in the House Judiciary Committee, halting what critics described as one of the most aggressive gun control packages ever introduced in New Mexico. Meanwhile, Senate Bill 261, which sought to dramatically expand so-called “gun-free zones” around polling places and ballot drop boxes, failed to advance out of the House Government, Elections and Indian Affairs Committee after Ranking Member Rep. John Block forcefully exposed what he called “massive holes” in the legislation.

According to reporting from the Santa Fe New Mexican, the bill’s sponsors admitted the bill’s effective death, with state Sen. Debbie  O’Malley telling the outlet, “There’s not enough time to hear it again.”

Continue reading “”

Deputies: Victim Stabs Intruder in Self-Defense During Early Morning Home Invasion

Two men were arrested after Broward Sheriff’s Office deputies say they forced their way into a residence and attacked the occupant, before fleeing after one was stabbed.

According to a Broward County Sheriff’s Office booking report, Kobi Issiah Torrealba Ruiz, 18, of Lauderhill, and Christian Micheal Chirino, 38, of Lauderhill, were arrested on February 14. Deputies say they responded to a reported home invasion at a Tamarac residence at approximately 5:00 a.m., in which the victim told deputies the men forced their way into his home while looking for his nephew.

Investigators say that after the victim asked the two men to leave, they both allegedly struck him multiple times. During the altercation, the victim stabbed Chirino in what authorities described as self-defense.

The affidavit states that both suspects fled the scene in a silver Nissan Altima. Deputies later located the vehicle in Lauderhill and detained both men. Chirino was observed with a stab wound consistent with the victim’s account and was treated at the scene by Lauderhill Fire Rescue.

The victim positively identified both suspects during a show-up, according to the report.

Both Torrealba Ruiz and Chirino were arrested and booked into the Broward County Main Jail.

Woman fatally shoots teen suspect in ski mask during break-in, police say

JACKSON, Miss. (WLBT/Gray News) – Police say a Mississippi woman, fearing for her life, shot and killed one of two suspects wearing ski masks who broke into her apartment.

The incident happened about 2:30 a.m. Sunday at the Park at Inverness Apartments in Jackson.

Jackson Police say their investigation revealed two Black males wearing ski masks broke into a woman’s apartment. Fearing for her life, the resident fired a weapon, hitting and killing one of the suspects.

The second suspect fled the scene.

The deceased suspect was identified Sunday afternoon as 15-year-old Kaden Young, while the second suspect was identified as 18-year-old Quintavion Myles.

Myles was booked into city holding and is currently facing a murder charge.

The resident was interviewed at police headquarters and released.

Police say the investigation is ongoing.

The case will be bound over to the grand jury.